Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Review: The Westing Game

After playing the video game, Heavy Rain, I wanted to continue in the mystery genre. So, going off of my anticipated summer reading list, I picked up The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. This is a short book (about 180 pages) and is full of puns and other types of word play. I would have loved it for this reason only but the story was great too! After wealthy yet mysterious Sam Westing is murdered, his inheritance of 200 million dollars is offered to the winner of his final game. His Will is actually clues for different residents of Sunset Towers, his residential building of which he hand-picked the occupants. Who will successfully put together their clues and win the game? Who is the murderer? It's a quick read and a good murder mystery connecting people together who seem so different yet all have something in common.

This is a cute site in case any teachers want to use this book with students. It would probably be better for late elementary or middle school but I will recommend it for my high schoolers as an easy, quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment